Plant Warning Signals when ‘Foraging’ for Wild Food
- Don’t eat mushrooms, some are safe, some are toxic – even deadly
- Never eat plants with thorns
- Stay away from Umbrella- shaped flower/plants
- Never eat plants with yellow or white berries
- Avoid plants with shiny leaves and plants with seeds in a pod
- Plants with discoloured or milky sap are a definite no, no.
- Spit out any fruit or plant that tastes soapy or bitter
- Keep away from any fruit or plant that smells of almonds
Always check with your local guide BEFORE tasting the wild fruits of the jungle!