Don’t Panic stay Calm;
Panic can cloud your judgment, waste your energy, and make you more vulnerable to dangers. Staying calm can help you assess your situation, conserve your resources, and make rational decisions.
Firstly – get your head in the right place
Face your fears: challenge your fears
S.T.O.P. (Stop- Think – Observe – Plan)
Stay put. … Don’t wander!!!
Take a good look around; try to pinpoint your location and identify landmarks
**Signal for help: Use any means available to attract attention and let rescuers know your location.
Shout, blow your Acme survival whistle
Flash your mirror to attract attention
Look and listen for signs of people
Your 3 immediate Priorities for survival are Shelter, Water and Fire.
- Find and /or build Shelter (shade or insulated)
- Find clean water
- Build a Fire
Tips on Shade Shelter …. Protection from Heat
• Dig or rake the surface too uncovered cooler ground and build a lean-to shelter of sticks and branches over it
• Since, the purpose of this shelter is to create shade use any available fabric or natural foliage to cover the sunny side.
• Chill out in the cool soil beneath the shade.
Tips on an Insulated Shelter that can help protect you from the cold, the wet and Hypothermia.
If you’re on your own, your body heat will be the main source of warmth, so build your shelter just big enough to for you to squeeze into when lying down. If you have friend, again think small – you will benefit by getting as tight together as possible.
**This is no time to be concerned about ‘intimacy’ it’s about survival; No tongues!
- Construct a simple lean-to, use an embankment, boulder, fallen tree or standing tree as a sturdy side wall
- Lean sticks close together on the one open side and fill in gaps.
- Cover with grass, leaves, moss, bracken etc. — the thicker the material, the more protection.
- Create bedding by adding leaves, grass and pine needles for extra insulation
Survival blankets and bags are essential outdoor survival kit.
- Heatshield Thermal Blanket is a reusable and lightweight thermal blanket for one or two people.
- The thermal bag provides total body coverage for maximum personal protection. When inside the bag, it will reflect and retain over 90% of radiated body heat and reduces windchill.
- Both are windproof, waterproof and “radar reflective”.
The Survival Bag can provide lifesaving shelter
A durable and lightweight survival bag which offers protection from the elements in the event of an accident, trauma or exposed situation. It is large enough to accommodate 2 people. It can also be used as an improvised flag; wave or create a flag pole to act as a distress signal.